Thursday, December 12, 2013

Pass the popcorn

Dakota and I had quite an audience yesterday. I suppose grazing is pretty hard with this much snow still on the ground, so the herd is bored and looking for entertainment. They crack me up.



I shortened the side reins a little more, so Dakota is feeling a good contact now. He's head-high and bracing at the moment. I think I'm going to find some ground poles to get him to loosen his back and neck. I'm really happy with how far he's come in two months, though.



After lungeing I hopped on him again yesterday and we did a little trot work down the long sides and across the diagonal. He doesn't really have brakes yet, and steering is iffy, but he was a perfect gentleman. He's so soft in the mouth -- quite a change from Willow! I'll have to be careful not to let Dakota go behind the vertical as he comes along.

No comments: