Sunday, April 6, 2014

Changes

I'm sitting in my father's house in Lincoln, Nebraska, keeping an eye on him while my brother and his family go to church. My dad was diagnosed with ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease) a little over three years ago. He is now nearing the end of his terribly difficult journey, spending his final days in home hospice, and at the moment he is sleeping deeply and calmly, for which I am grateful. ALS is a cruel disease, and my father has coped valiantly. Now I wish only for a peaceful passing. I am blessed that my situation allowed me to turn what was supposed to be a weekend visit here into an indefinite stay when it became apparent that my father was declining rapidly.

I came to Lincoln after I flew to Lubbock, Texas, for a job interview on March 26. I got the job! So the menagerie will be moving to Lubbock in a month or two -- me, Ted, Dakota, Lucy, Lola, and Annie. It's a good job in book publishing, and I have lived in Lubbock before (and enjoyed it), so in spite of the sadness of my father's situation, we are feeling some happiness and excitement. Dakota is coming along so nicely that I'll keep training him and likely sell or lease him to a young rider in Lubbock at some point. I'd love to get him to third level: earn your bronze on a mustang! I think he has the physical talent and mental chops to do it. So have no fear: the blog will continue!

For now, though, I'll just keep watching my dad sleep.

1 comment:

beth666ann said...

I wish your father and you (& the family) all the best. Congratulations on the job. Grief and joy often coincide, don't they.