Monday, September 1, 2014

Vintage Stubben facelift

Back in February, I bought a cool brown Stubben off of eBay. I got an awesome price on it, and it fits both Dakota and Clair very well. I'd been meaning to have it serviced, as the billets were split, and I suspected it had never been reflocked. I did a Google search for certified Stubben saddlers, and found Amanda in Virginia. She did a wonderful job! She replaced the split billets with some slightly longer billets that still are hidden under the flap. Add in some leather conditioner, and what a difference. Look at the kneel roll!

Before:


After:


From the side it almost looks like a new saddle.

Before:


After:


Now that it's reflocked, I think it fits Clair even better than before. Both ponies move along happily in it. I have a matching brown bridle I'm using on Clair, and a cobbled-together black one I'm using with Dakota and his hard-to-fit head. If I show Kota, I'll need to cobble something together in brown.

Clair and I are getting along great! We're working on perfecting our canter communication; I keep letting her drop to trot without meaning to. Gotta get her more on my leg. The departs are crisp and clean. Many times when lungeing, Clair has offered walk-canter. I think it'll be a breeze under saddle. I'll probably start schooling it for fun since it comes easily to her.

I've started asking Dakota to stay more firmly on my aids and really listen to the outside rein. He'd rather go back to baby aids, but each ride he fusses a little less and settles into work sooner. He has developed a tremendous hay belly, so I'm working hard on conditioning. It's nice to see him plump and sassy after ending up on the thin side post-Oregon-winter.

No comments: