Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Picking nits

I'm a publisher/book editor by trade, so publishing mistakes tend to jump out and hit me over the head, even when they're not ones I'm responsible for. I'm irritated out of all proportion by the Solutions page in the latest Dressage Today (the last interior page). On this page, the guest trainer recommends learning how to sit the canter better by imagining you're sitting on a swing and trying to make it go higher. That's a great visual/muscle memory appeal; I'm totally on board. And in the accompanying illustration, the artist helpfully draws a phantom swing under the rider to reinforce the idea. All good. But then she has gone and drawn the horse in trot! Come on, editors! That's is a pretty glaring error! And now your illustration is meaningless, and possibly even harmful, since sitting like that in trot would not be correct.

Oh well, at least it's not my fault.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

I feel the same way when I see errors like that! Disapproving at first, and then just relieved I'm not on the hook for it.

A Bay Horse said...

Wow, that is a pretty funny error for a horse trade magazine to make. I wouldn't be surprised to see a horse-related mistake in say People, but Dressage Today? Did you send them a letter? I wonder how many they'll get...

halfpassgirl said...

I didn't send a letter; I prefer to whine on the intertubes. I'm sure I'm not the only one who noticed. I expect to see a correction next month.