Friday, December 5, 2008

The rest of the week

Willow continues to behave herself. I rode Saturday and Sunday in the snaffle, and Monday and Wednesday in the double. I had kind of forgotten about riding in the double regularly; there's nothing like a mad gallop around the arena to make you think, hey, yeah, maybe I'll get that double out again!

Monday Willow didn't want to go forward in the double, so I got off and lunged for a bit, and then she felt super. Wednesday I lunged before I got on, and again she felt really good. I think I'm going to keep her strictly in the double for a couple weeks to get her really accepting it. She's so much lighter in the canter in the double that it's tempting to hang up the snaffle for good, but my goal is always to have a horse that's rideable in the snaffle at any level, so my plan is to keep swapping back and forth. We have to get our scores at first and second level in any case.

I had planned to ride last night, but I forgot about my company Xmas party. And tonight I am just beat. There's a Volker Brommann clinic tomorrow, so I'm going to watch two lessons right before the lunch break and then ride during the break. Same thing on Sunday. My father is visiting starting tomorrow evening, so my riding next week may be a little spotty. Although I really need to try to get out as much as I can, because I have my first lesson with Leslie on Thursday. Wow, I haven't ridden in a lesson since August, 2006.

3 comments:

Flying Lily said...

Hey I hope your lesson goes well! That's exciting - getting back to lessons after a break.i

Anonymous said...

I totally understand about wanting to hang up the snaffle while also wanting to have the horse ridable in a snaffle. I've had my ex-racehorse (ottb) for 2 months now, easily rode him in a snaffle while the Oct weather was warm, now that we're hitting below freezing we're having a few too many mad gallops around an always-crowded-ring.... When will winter be over?
Is it wrong to hang up the snaffle for a season? I know the answer, yes, but a girl can dream....

The Heart Of Now said...

I feel so busy lately with the holidays, finding time to ride consistently gets frustrating. I am looking forward to going out this Sunday although it is slated to snow. Snow days in Portland are rare but I'd rather be with the horses than in the city. Hope your lesson goes well.