Saturday, April 3, 2010

Feeling whole again

Today I went out to Camilla the eventer's barn to try out the two geldings she asked me if I wanted to start schooling in dressage.

First up was Baby Huey. He's a gray TB, I guess around 16.1 or 16.2. He may not have the most obviously spectacular dressage potential, but bless his heart, he tries so hard. I had a really fun test ride on him: walk, trot, trot leg yield, and canter. He was very obedient and light in the bridle. My goal with him will be to get him more solid into the outside rein. He's a little wormy and doesn't want to bend to the right. I really did click with him right away.

Next up was Flash, who you saw a few days back in the video. He's TB/Oldenburg, about 15.3. Flash has super gaits, but I couldn't get him in front of my leg. Camilla says he likes to test everyone and will be as lazy as you let him. Since this was just a test ride, I didn't get into it with him, but next time I'll use a whip and spurs. In spite of the sucking back, we had decent walk and trot, and canter to the left. To the right, no luck getting a canter (doesn't want to bend, for one thing). Something to work on!

They both have a lot of potential, and I feel like they could both be going second level by the end of the summer. The current plan is for me to work one or both of them on Sundays, Mondays, and Tuesdays. There's only an outdoor arena at this barn, so I need to get some better all-weather riding gear, and I gotta get my saddle oiled up so it doesn't get ruined in the rain. We lucked out today and managed to get both rides in between squalls.

As much as I love and miss having my own horse, I also truly love getting on a variety of horses and figuring each one out. I find it so fascinating.

1 comment:

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Sounds like some fun in your future! Love the names - can't wait to hear more about their personalities. Happy you're in the saddle again!