Monday, July 28, 2014

More possible competition horses

I buzzed over to Dallas for 24 hours Saturday through Sunday and tried out two horses. First up was Clair the 16.2 hh Dutch Warmblood mare. She's seven years old and has a good bit of second level. I rode her late Saturday night and again early Sunday morning. It's so nice to be able to get on a horse you're trying out twice. The first time you're just trying to figure them out. The second time you can have some fun.







Later on Sunday I rode Presley the 17 hh Westphalian gelding. He's been mostly used as a jumper and doesn't have a solid dressage background. He's an impressive horse with gaits to die for, which I unfortunately wasn't able to show off in my test drive. I couldn't get him in front of my leg at all. But he was a sweetheart.



I don't know if you can tell from the videos of me on Clair, but we really clicked. I did W-T-C, leg yield, shoulder in, and haunches in. Clair was very willing and content throughout the ride. When her owner rode, she also showed me some trot lengthening and a turn on the haunches. The mare's got skilz! So -- drumroll -- I emailed an offer on Clair this evening. Fingers crossed! I will have her vetted with x-rays. Maybe, just maybe, I found my competition horse!

No comments: