Monday, March 17, 2008

Free lungeing Willow

Even with the bit riding a little higher in her mouth, Willow has continued to give me some signs that something isn't quite right in there, so I have an appointment to have her teeth checked and possibly floated on Friday. In the meantime, I'm giving her and me the week off (no bit in her mouth 'til we get this figured out). Because it's supposed to rain all week (quelle surprise!), she probably won't get much turnout, so I'm still heading to the barn every night to free lunge her.

It's been forever since I've free lunged Willow off the halter, with no other tack. We had fun! It was great to see her naked, so to speak -- I could really tell how much she has muscled up recently. I can also tell that she has built a lot of strength over her topline. She used to like to drag around on her forehand, head to the ground, when I free lunged; now she carries herself in front. She was showing off her newly discovered trot extension, too. I sent her down the long side a few times, tearing alongside her as fast as I could, and she quickly picked up on the game and got very fancy.

She also popped a few flying changes in the canter. Whee!

I'm anxious to get back to riding, but we're both enjoying this change in the routine, too. Maybe tomorrow I'll set out some cavaletti.

No comments: