Saturday, January 17, 2009

A horrible creaking noise

I just cruised over to Flying Lilies and saw that she had posted a video of the classic trick wherein, in a very cold climate, you can throw a cup of boiling water in the air and it will vaporize instantly. I come from North Dakota stock and visited that state many times in the winter, and this trick was always a favorite of the local weathermen. In the Flying Lilies video, it's twenty below.

The reason the video really got me was because she films herself walking outside with the cup of boiling water, and you can hear the horrible creak, creak, creak that snow makes underfoot in extreme cold. It sent a shiver down my spine. And to think I was grumpy because it was 36 degrees during my ride today. I used to be a hardy Nebraskan, but no more.

No comments: